How many calories does one serving of Corn Manchurian have?
One serving of Corn Manchurian gives 264 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 147 calories, proteins account for 20 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 109 calories. One serving of Corn Manchurian provides about 13 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view. Corn Manchurian recipe. The moment you think of Manchurian, it is ingredients like baby corn, cabbage, capsicum and cauliflower that immediately come to mind. Now, we present you with an off-beat but irresistible Corn Manchurian made with deep-fried balls of crushed sweet corn kernels, carrots and other usual flavour enhancers like ginger, garlic, etc. These deep-fried corn balls are dunked in the typical Manchurian sauce that is intensely flavoured with ginger, green chillies, soy sauce, chilli garlic sauce and other ingredients. While the Corn Manchurian offers the typical flavour punch associated with all Manchurians, what will please you the most is the texture of the corn balls, which are crisp outside and super soft, mildly sweet inside. Enjoy the holistic experience, slowly taking in the aroma, flavour and texture of each mouthful.
Is Corn Manchurian healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Sweet Corn : The pros. Sweet corn in a rich in fibre. The high vitamin B3 – 2.61 mg / cup is known to reduce cholesterol levels in body and in turn promote heart health. Sweet corn is good for pregnancy as high folate content and antioxidants - lutein is good for the foetus.The cons. the glycemic index of sweet corn is said to be between 55 to 58 and hence not suited for diabetics and best to restrict the usage. Though sweet corn is a good source of fiber, low in fat and helps control appetite, considering that it is a vegetable it has more calories than other fiber rich veggies, so restrict usage for weight loss. So given a choice it is wise to opt for other veggies first. Read the article is sweet corn healthy?
2. Carrots (gajjar) : Carrots have the nutrient Beta Carotene which is a form of Vitamin A, helps prevent deterioration of the eye as one gets older and prevents night blindness. Carrot is great for the eyes.They relieve constipation, lower blood pressure, have fibre and lower cholesterol. Read the 11 super benefiits of carrots and why to include in your daily diet.
3. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin in Onions promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
4.Green Chillies : Antioxidant vitamin C in green chillies protects the body from effects of harmful free radicals and prevents stress. It is probably the high fiber which helps in controlling blood sugar levels. This it is a welcome addition to a diabetic diet. Suffering from anaemia? Add green chillies to your list of iron rich foods too. For complete details see benefits of green chilli.
6. Garlic : Garlic has been proven to lower cholesterol. The active ingredient allicin present in garlic aids in lowering blood pressure. Garlic is also alleged to help regulate blood glucose levels for diabetics. Garlic is great for the heart and circulatory system. Garlic has an antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal function and can help in relieving common cold and other infections. The thiosulphate compound, Allicin found in garlic acts as a strong antioxidant and protects our body from damage of free radicals. Read here for complete benefits of garlic.
7. Spring Onions : The sulfur compounds in spring onions are known to keep blood pressure under check. Here the sulfur compounds and antioxidant quercetin together help to keep blood sugar levels under control by increasing the production of insulin making it good for Diabetics. Spring onions have also been identified to lower cholesterol levels in the body. The vitamin C also puts you at less risk of heart disease. Being very low in calories and fat and encompassing a basketful of nutrients, they are looked upon as a weight loss vegetable too. See detailed benefits of spring onions.
What's the problem?
1. Plain flour (maida) : This recipe uses plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or just a little bit of usage as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. Read is maida good for you to understand fully.
2. Deep fried foods : This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff. So you have given the cells in your body the right food to stay healthy and that is so important in staying disease free for the rest of your life.
3. Vegetable Oils : To some vegetable oil is only soyabean oil, while some promote it as a mix of oils like soyabean, canola, sunflower, corn and other omega-6 rich oils. These are often cheaper options than many oils, but they are highly processed oils. They are undoubtedly not to be reached out for, whether you are looking for salad dressings, sautéing or cooking. The 5 best oils used in cooking are olive oil (low temperature short time cooking), avocado oil, canola oil, coconut oil and peanut oil. You must read the super article to find the facts of which oil is the healthiest avoid vegetable oil.
3. Cornflour ( Cornstarch) : Pros. Cornflour is easy to digest because of the presence of insoluble fiber, thus benefits the gut. It’s gluten-free and can be consumed by those who cannot afford to stock wheat. Cons. Cornflour is full of calories and carbs like refined sugar, thus a barrier to weight reduction. Those on weight loss diet must definitely not reach out for it. The high crabs makes it a No-No for a diabetic meal and restricted for heart patients. Read for more details is cornflour healthy?
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Corn Manchurian?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body.
What is a helathier Chinese Vegetable ?
I would opt for Chinese stir fried vegetables.
Chinese Stir- Fried Vegetables
Can healthy individuals have Corn Manchurian?
Corn Manchurian is high in
1. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
2. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 264 calories that come from Corn Manchurian?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 19 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 26 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 35 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 45 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.