How many calories does one serving of Spaghetti with Spinach and Mushrooms have?
One serving of Spaghetti with Spinach and Mushrooms gives 295 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 108 calories, proteins account for 36 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 147 calories. One serving of Spaghetti with Spinach and Mushrooms provides about 15 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Spaghetti with Spinach and Mushrooms recipe. Spaghetti with Spinach and Mushrooms is a satiating meal that satisfies not just your stomach but your culinary senses too, with its creamy texture and crunchy interludes. Going beyond plain white sauce, this spaghetti preparation features a milky, cheesy, creamy sauce chock-full of spinach and mushrooms.
Is Spaghetti with Spinach and Mushrooms healthy?
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Spinach (Palak) : Spinach is one of the richest plant sources of Iron and it should be part of a healthy diet for everyone. Raw spinach is very rich in insoluble fibre, 25% having soluble fiber and 75% insoluble fiber. Spinach is good for the heart, diabetics and eyes. Read this on the 17 benefits of spinach and why you should eat it.
2. Mushrooms : One cup of Mushrooms contain only 18 calories and is safe to be consumed by those who have high blood pressure. Mushrooms has a Glycemic Index of 15 which is very low and is diabetic friendly. The B-vitamins Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Pyridoxine (B6) and Folic acid (B9) which are present in good amounts in mushrooms are involved in various metabolic reactions in the body. to convert into energy. See the detailed 8 benefits of mushrooms.
3. Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. The Calcium in Milk helps to protect your teeth against gum disease and keeps your jaw bone strong and healthy. Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
4. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
What's the problem?
1. Plain flour (maida) : This recipe uses plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or just a little bit of usage as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients. Read is maida good for you to understand fully.
2. Fresh Cream : 1 tbsp of fresh cream (15 gm) provides around 18 calories, out of which 16 calories result from saturated fat. Till late, saturated fat was always looked upon as that evil fat which would lead to high cholesterol levels and strokes. Offhand, studies have revealed no such association. So, the next question that arises is “Are saturated fats healthy then?” What’s more important is to look at your diet in totality. Till no furnished evidence is available on this subject, you can add about a tsp of fresh cream once in a while to your meals to enhance the taste. Try and not to add it in bulk frequently. This holds true for a healthy individual or for those suffering from diabetes, heart problem etc.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Spaghetti with Spinach and Mushrooms ?
No for diabetics, weight loss and heart. The reason is usage of spaghetti which is made from plain flour and lots of fresh cream and full fat milk. We suggest you have chunky tomato whole wheat pasta recipe or whole wheat pasta in low calorie white sauce recipe in limited quantity where whole wheat pasta is used and the sauces don't contain any fat.
Chunky Tomato Pasta
Can healthy individuals have Spaghetti with Spinach and Mushrooms ?
Eat in restricted quantity and use whole wheat pasta to make it way healthier.
Spaghetti with Spinach and Mushrooms is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
3. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
4. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
5. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
6. Vitamin A : Vitamin A is crucial for healthy vision, cell growth and healthy skin.
7. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) : Vitamin B2 enables the production of red blood cells that contribute to the rise in your energy levels. So have more milk, curds, eggs and green leafy vegetables.
8. Vitamin B3 (niacin) : Vitamin B3 helps in brain functioning and mental health. Also healthy skin formation.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 295 calories that come from Spaghetti with Spinach and Mushrooms?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 29 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 30 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 39 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 51 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.