How many calories does one serving of Sama Pulao have?
One serving of Sama Pulao gives 197 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 108 calories, proteins account for 18 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 74 calories. One serving of Sama Pulao provides about 10 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Sama Pulao recipe. A wholesome pulao perfect for fasting days, the Sama Pulao combines the unique, earthy flavour of the sanwa millet with the aroma and flavour of whole spices and coriander.Crushed peanuts give the pulao a fabulous texture and rich flavour, while potato makes it more sumptuous and filling.
Is Sama Pulao healthy?
No, this is not very healthy, maybe eat small portion if you are healthy. Made from sama, potatoes, peanuts and spices.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Sanwa Millet ( Sama, Barnyard Millets) : Like most millets, sanwa millet is also high in protein. Moreover, sanwa millet has the least calories and carbs as compared to other millets like jowar, bajra, ragi. With a good amount of fiber, phosphorus and magnesium, there is no reason for heart patients to avoid this millet. It will keep a check on your cholesterol levels and blood pressure both. Small amount of same should be had by diabetics. See detailed benefits of sanwa millet.
2. Peanuts : Peanuts contain Vitamin B1, Thiamine which helps form ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) which body uses for energy. A handful of peanuts gives you 7.3 grams of Protein. Peanuts, Almonds, Walnuts and Cashews are rich in Protein and healthy monounsaturated fats which won’t spike your blood sugar levels and good for a diabetic snack and healthy heart snack. Eating a handful of Peanuts a day is said to increase the good cholesterol (HDL) in your body which is good for heart health. Read 11 amazing benefits of peanuts.
What's the problem?
1. Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Sama Pulao ?
No, this recipe is not healthy for diabetics as sama should be had in moderation by them and potatoes are used in this recipe which again is not healthy. For heart patients make this recipe without the potatoes. For weight loss, skip the recipe.
Can healthy individuals have Sama Pulao ?
Yes, but skip the potatoes.
Sama Pulao is high in
1. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
2.Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
3. Vitamin B3 (niacin) : Vitamin B3 helps in brain functioning and mental health. Also healthy skin formation.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 197 calories that come from Sama Pulao?
Walking (6 kmph) = 59 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 20 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 26 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 34 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.