How many calories does one serving of Punjabi Kadhi have?
One serving of Punjabi Kadhi gives 151 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 39 calories, proteins account for 24 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 88 calories. One serving of Punjabi Kadhi provides about 8 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See punjabi kadhi recipe. Every state in India has their own kadhi and a lot of countries also boast of delicious curries.
Punjab, not one to lag behind, also has its very own kadhi the Punjabi Kadhi. A preparation of curds, besan, onions and masalas the Punjabi Kadhi is ready in a jiffy.
Punjabi Kadhi makes a delicious sunday lunch when served with plain steamed rice.
Is Punjabi Kadhi healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
2. Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. See detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
3. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Punjabi kadhi ?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss BUT use low fat curds instead of homemade full fat curd recipe. The quercetin in onions promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body.
Low Fat Curds ( How To Make Low Fat Curds)
What is a healthy accompaniment to kadhi ?
Kadhi goes well with the following khichdi options : buckwheat moong and vegetable khichdi, vitamin khichdi, fada ni khichdi, bohri khichdi and buckwheat and sprouts khichdi. Note that these khichdi recipes have ZERO rice used in them and are diabetic, heart friendly.
Can healthy individuals have Punjabi kadhi ?
Punjabi Kadhi – A Healthy Protein Rich Accompaniment
1. This Punjabi Kadhi lends 4.1 g of protein per serving. Protein is a key nutrient for all the health of each and every cell of the body. It also helps build muscle mass.
2. This kadhi is a healthier choice for mother-to-be and lactating women too. However control the amount oil being used while cooking.
3. Reduce the quantity of oil to 1 tsp, instead of 1 tbsp used in the traditional version, and this recipe will qualify for weight loss too. Choice of high fat curd or its low fat counterpart depends on your other fat consumption through the day.
4. If you are a diabetic or a heart patient and have been asked to restrict fat consumption, then apart from using only 1 tsp of oil you also need to substitute high fat curd with low fat curd.
5. The sulfur compounds and the quercetin present in onions further will also help to manage diabetes and cholesterol levels in the body.
6. Good amounts of calcium (27% per serving) and phosphorus (19% per serving) from this kadhi are a way of building strong bones and preventing osteoporosis.
Punjabi Kadhi is high in
1. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
2. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
8 Pointers to Go Healthy and Stay Healthy
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover.
How to burn 151 calories that come from Punjabi Kadhi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 45 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 15 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 20 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 26 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.