How many calories does one serving of Punjabi Kadhi have?
One serving of Punjabi Kadhi gives 151 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 35 calories, proteins account for 19 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 82 calories. One serving of Punjabi Kadhi provides about 8 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See punjabi kadhi recipe. Every state in India has their own kadhi and a lot of countries also boast of delicious curries.
Punjab, not one to lag behind, also has its very own kadhi the Punjabi Kadhi. A preparation of curds, besan, onions and masalas the Punjabi Kadhi is ready in a jiffy.
Punjabi Kadhi makes a delicious sunday lunch when served with plain steamed rice.
Is Punjabi Kadhi healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
2. Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. See detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
3. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Punjabi kadhi ?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss BUT use low fat curds instead of homemade full fat curd recipe. The quercetin in onions promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body.
What is a healthy accompaniment to kadhi ?
Kadhi goes well with the following khichdi options : buckwheat moong and vegetable khichdi, vitamin khichdi, fada ni khichdi, bohri khichdi and buckwheat and sprouts khichdi. Note that these khichdi recipes have ZERO rice used in them and are diabetic, heart friendly.
Can healthy individuals have Punjabi kadhi ?
Punjabi Kadhi is high in
1. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
2. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 151 calories that come from Punjabi Kadhi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 45 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 15 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 20 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 26 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.