Water Chestnut and Bell Pepper Bao
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 2949 times
Bao is a type of steamed bun, which is very popular in Chinese cuisine. Here is an exotic bao recipe, in which the steamed buns are stuffed with a delectable mixture of water chestnuts, capsicum and bean sprouts perked up with oriental sauces and tomato ketchup.
A garnish of coarsely crushed roasted peanuts boosts the aroma, taste and scrumptiousness of the Water Chestnut and Bell Pepper Bao.
You will really love the experience as the soft and succulent steamed buns give way to a tongue-tickling, multi-textured stuffing in each exciting bite!
A bowl of your favourite soup will be a perfect accompaniment to these baos and satiating too.
- Combine the dry yeast, sugar and ¼ cup of warm water in a bowl, mix well, cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, salt, yeast-sugar mixture, milk, vinegar, oil and approx. ¼ cup water in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough.
- Sprinkle a little plain flour over a smooth, flat surface, place the dough over it and knead it very well for 5 to 10 minutes or till smooth.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place to rise for 2 hours or till double in size.
- Sprinkle the plain flour over a smooth, flat surface, place the dough over it and deflate the dough by pressing it lightly with your fingers.
- Spread the dough with your fingers to form a 225 mm. X 175 mm. (9”) x (7”) rectangle, add the baking powder and knead very well for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal portions and roll out each portion into a smooth round.
- Place them on a flat tray at regular intervals, cover it with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Roll out each portion of the dough into an oblong of 100 mm. (4") without using any flour for rolling.
- Brush each rolled portion with a little sesame oil and fold it over to form a semi-circle and press it lightly.
- Place 3 rolled portions on a perforated thali, place it in the steamer and steam for 8 to 9 minutes.
- Repeat step 11 to steam the remaining 2 rolled portions in one more batch. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the water chestnut, red capsicum, green capsicum and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the bean sprouts, soy sauce, schezwan sauce, tomato ketchup, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Divide the filling into 5 equal portions and keep aside.
- Take a bao and stuff it with a portion of the filling. Sprinkle 2 tsp of the peanuts evenly over the filling and press lightly.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per bao
|Vitamin A||181.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||3.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||23.5 mg|
|Folic Acid||2.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.