Vegetable Kalvan, Maharashtrian Healthy Sabzi
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 26 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6752 times
There is something great about kalvan... it seems homely and special at the same time! Indeed, this authentic Maharashtrian delicacy is an all-time favourite.
The Vegetable Kalvan features an assortment of veggies cooked with milk and a paste of roasted coconut and spices. Roasting the coconut heightens the aroma and taste of the spice paste, giving the kalvan its characteristic taste.
Pair it with whole wheat chapatis for a truly soul-warming meal.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the curry leaves, onions, ginger and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cool the mixture completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining ½ tsp of oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the prepared paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk, sugar, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes ,while stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetables, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.