Vegetable Bhuna Masala
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18963 times
Bhuna Masala is one of the most common everyday spice mixes in Indian cooking. It is made of roasted and powdered spices, and gives the curry a reddish-brown hue, a rich flavour and appetizing aroma.
It hails from Eastern India, and is popular in the North too. The Bhuna Masala is at the heart of this delectable Bengali-style subzi, which features a range of antioxidant and fibre rich veggies along with calcium-rich paneer.
A good dose of tangy tomato puree makes the flavour of the dish even more interesting. The Vegetable Bhuna Masala tastes superb with rotis, puris or rice and dal.
- Heat a small non-stick pan add the red chilles, coriander seeds, peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin seeds, sesame seeds and black sesame seeds and roast on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Cool completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the prepared powdered masala, turmeric, chilli powder, tomato puree, tomatoes, sugar, salt and 2 tbsp water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the green peas, carrot, french beans and ¾ cup water, mix well cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the paneer and capsicum, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.