Veg Rice Cutlets, Shallow Fried Starter
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 28 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 26730 times
A yummy cutlet with an Oriental touch, the Veg Rice Cutlets is one of the most interesting ways to make use of leftover rice!
Here, mashed potatoes and cooked rice are combined with crunchy spring onions, gooey cheese and spicy red chillies to make a mouth-watering cutlet, which makes a wonderful snack or starter when served with honey chilli sauce.
You can also try other recipes using cooked rice, like Bhaat Na Rasawala Muthia, Corn and Rice Balls , Rice and Vegetable Chila , Rice Thepla and Rice Stuffed Potatoes
Enjoy how to make Veg Rice Cutlets recipe with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- To make veg rice cutlets, combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix very well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape each portion into a flat round cutlet.
- Heat 1½ tbsp of oil in a non-stick tava (griddle), place 6 cutlets on it and cook on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Remove on a plate and keep aside.
- Repeat step 3 to cook 6 more cutlets in one more batch.
- Serve the veg rice cutlets hot with honey chilli sauce.
Veg Rice Cutlets Video
Veg Rice Cutlets, Shallow Fried Starter recipe with step by step photos
- To make rice cutlet from leftover rice, take boiled and mashed potatoes in a deep bowl.
- Add finely chopped spring onions whites and greens. They provide the required oriental flavor. Also, you can add grated carrot or beetroot.
- Now add cooked rice. This is an amazing way to use leftover rice. Ensure the rice is soft and mushy.
- Furthermore, add dry red chilli flakes. Increase or decrease the amount as per your preference.
- Furthermore, add grated processed cheese.
- Finally, add 1 tbsp cornflour and salt to taste. You can even use besan or rice flour to bind together all the ingredients and give a crispy texture to the rice cutlet recipe.
- Mix all the ingredients very well and your rice cutlet mixture made from cooked rice is ready.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a flat round cutlet. If you are facing difficulty in shaping them then grease your palm with little oil.
- Heat 1½ tbsp of oil in a non-stick tava (griddle). You can even pan-fry rice cutlets instead of shallow frying.
- Place 6 cutlets on it and cook on a medium flame.
- Cook from both the sides till they turn golden brown in colour. Press them a little with the flat spoon so, they get a nice golden colour.
- Remove the rice tikki on a plate and keep aside.
- Repeat step 10 to 13 and cook 6 more rice patties in one more batch. If you have a large pan, then you can cook all at once.
- For making honey chilli sauce, combine ¾ cup honey, 1.5 tbsp finely chopped fresh red chillies, 1 tbsp finely chopped green chillies, 1 tbsp lemon juice in a deep bowl and mix well to make around 10tbsp of the sauce.
- Serve the shallow-fried Veg Rice Cutlets hot with honey chilli sauce.
- Some other ways to use leftover rice is to prepare Cheesy Rice Stick, Rice and Peanut Pakoda or Corn, Spinach and Rice Balls from them.
Nutrient values per cutlet
|Vitamin A||51.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||4.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.