Red Pumpkin Chutney, Kaddu Chutney, Bengali Bhopla Chutney
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7113 times
This mild and simple Bengali chutney is a surprise for those who don’t know about it. The procedure is so simple but the taste is so awesome!
Cooked and mashed red pumpkin is blended with an assortment of ingredients like red chillies, raisins and tamarind, which contribute spicy, sweet and tangy tones to the chutney.
Finger-licking tasty, this Red Pumpkin Chutney can be served as an accompaniment with meals or as a dip with crunchy snacks!
You can make a small batch and keep it in the fridge, to use whenever required. When you stock up on red pumpkin, you can also try Pumpkin Kootu Curry and Pumpkin Raita .
- Combine the red pumpkin along with ½ cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and dry kashmiri red chilli and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the cooked pumpkin along with the water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tamarind pulp, raisins, sugar and salt, mix well, and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly and blend it in a mixer till smooth.
- Serve or store it in an air-tight container and keep it refrigerated. Use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.