Oil- Free Vada Pav
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 135 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 65243 times
Oh! Have you been missing out on vada pav because of its fat content? This low calorie version must be a dream come true, then!
Simple... Instead of frying the vadas I roasted them on a non-stick pan, and it turned out to be just as great as the fried ones, believe me!
Use whole wheat pav/bread if available. Garlic chutney adds spice and flavour to this snack.
To further cut down on the calories, I made garlic chutney without the fat-laden coconut. Just before serving warm the vada pav in an oven /Microwave to boost its scrumptiousness!
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl with enough water to make a batter of pouring consistency. Keep aside.
- Combine the potatoes, ginger-green chilli paste, coriander, lemon juice and salt together in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the mustard seeds, turmeric powder, curry leaves asafoetida and garlic and dry roast for about 2 minutes.
- Add to the potato mixture and mix well.
- Divide it into 4 equal portions and shape them into flat rounds and keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium flame.
- Dip the potato rounds in the batter and place them on the pan.
- Cover and cook on a low flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn upside down, cover again and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook on both sides till they turn golden brown. Keep aside.
- Cut 1 burger bun into 2 pieces, apply 1 teaspoon garlic chutney on one side of the burger bun.
- Place a vada on it and cover it with another piece of burger bun on top.
- Repeat with the remaining vadas and batter to make 3 more vada pavs.
- Cut each vada pav into 2 equal halves and serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per vada
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.