Low Calorie Dal Makhani
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 869 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 545341 times
Dal makhani, a flavourful robust lentil preparation, is a celebrated delicacy from punjab. Rajma and whole urad provide protein and calcium which are extremely important for maintenance of your body cells and healthy bones. Cooking the dal in tomato purée adds a little sharpness to this dish and also enriches it with folic acid and vitamin a. Try this dal with methi makai ki roti, to make a satisfying low fat meal.
- Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight. Drain.
- Combine the urad dal and rajma and salt with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 6 to 7 whistles or till they are overcooked. Whisk well till the urad dal and rajma is almost mashed.
- Add the milk, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions, ginger-garlic paste and cook on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add another 2 tbsp of water and the tomato pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared urad dal - rajma -milk mixture and little salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Low Calorie Dal Makhani Video by Tarla Dalal
Low Calorie Dal Makhani recipe with step by step photos
- Clean, wash and soak the whole urad in a deep bowl.
- Clean, wash and soak the rajma in a deep bowl.
- Cover and keep the whole urad bowl aside for overnight. It is important to soak them overnight so that they take lesser time to cook the next day.
- Cover and keep the kidney beans bowl aside for overnight.
- After soaking the whole urad dal overnight, it looks like this.
- After soaking the rajma overnight, it looks like this.
- Drain the water, rinse them and transfer the whole urad dal and rajma into a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt.
- Pressure cook for 6 to 7 whistles or till the dals are overcooked. Both the urad dal and rajma should melt in the mouth and should not have a bite on eating, so ensure they are very well cooked. Cool the pressure cooker completely and open the lid. Here is how they look.
- Whisk till the dal is almost mashed. If you want, you can use a potato masher to mash the dal.
- Add the milk, mix well and keep aside. We have used low-calorie milk for this healthy dal makhani recipe.
- Heat the oil in a deep kadhai and add the cumin seeds. Since, this is a low-calorie dal makhani recipe we do not make use of butter or ghee. If you want to make traditional maa ki dal with oodles of butter then check this dal makhani recipe with step by step images.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions. If you want a really smooth textured dal then grate the onions instead of chopping.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and cook on a medium flame for a few seconds. Since, we are using just 1 tsp of oil, we are not cooking the onions for too long or else they would start sticking to the bottom of the pan. If you feel, they have a raw smell then add 2 tbsp of water and cook for 2-3 minutes until the desired texture.
- Add the chilli powder.
- Also, add the coriander powder. Since we don’t add whole spices in the tadka, we make use of various dry spice powders.
- Add the turmeric powder.
- Add 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously. Water prevents the masala from burning when cooked for long.
- Add the tomato pulp. Refer this recipe to make fresh tomato pulp at home. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared urad dal - rajma -milk mixture and little salt. This recipe does not make use of any cream. Instead the low cal milk provides the required rich and creamy texture on cooking. We have another healthy recipe that makes use of low fat curd to make a fatless maa ki dal. Mix well and cook on a slow flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot. You can enjoy them as it is or pair with methi ki missi roti or brown rice vegetable pulao.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.