Low Calorie Dal Makhani
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 867 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 528046 times
Dal makhani, a flavourful robust lentil preparation, is a celebrated delicacy from punjab. Rajma and whole urad provide protein and calcium which are extremely important for maintenance of your body cells and healthy bones. Cooking the dal in tomato purée adds a little sharpness to this dish and also enriches it with folic acid and vitamin a. Try this dal with methi makai ki roti, to make a satisfying low fat meal.
- Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight. Drain.
- Combine the urad dal and rajma and salt with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 6 to 7 whistles or till they are overcooked. Whisk well till the urad dal and rajma is almost mashed.
- Add the milk, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions, ginger-garlic paste and cook on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add another 2 tbsp of water and the tomato pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared urad dal - rajma -milk mixture and little salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.