by Tarla Dalal
Added to 103 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 49390 times
The very word 'makhani' brings to our mind a rich gravy with lots of butter and cream! However, you will be pleasantly surprised to know that the same magical impact can be created in a healthy fashion by using low-fat milk.
The vibrant, red-coloured kofta used in this delightful dish is made using beetroot and carrot, which not only add colour to this subzi but also pool in nutrients like vitamin A, fiber and folic acid.
The koftas are not deep-fried but steamed, totally eliminating the need for oil in this recipe. The Kofta Makhani does take a little time to prepare, but surely worth the effort.
Indeed, this is a homely and satiating treat that you will thoroughly enjoy, when had with a bowl of hot rice or a few phulkas .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape each portion into a small round kofta.
- Steam the koftas in a steamer for 15 to 20 minutes or till they are cooked. Keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients, along with ¾ cup of water, in a deep non-stick pan and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely. Once cooled, discard the cloves and cinnamon and blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat a deep non-stick pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the cumin seeds and dry roast for about 10 seconds.
- Add the dried fenugreek leaves, chilli powder and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the makhani gravy, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.