Khari Biscuit, Puff Pastry Biscuits
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 50 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 173175 times
An evergreen accompaniment for chai, the Khari Biscuit or Puff Pastry Biscuit is something that many people think to be a speciality that only bakeries can produce.
Here we show you how to start from scratch and make wonderfully crisp and flaky Khari Biscuits right at home. The gluten, vinegar and a liberal dose of margarine are essential ingredients to get the right texture, so make sure you do not omit any of them while preparing the recipe.
Besides tea you can enjoy Khari Biscuits with a spread of one of your favourite jams or Dips and Sauces .
Enjoy how to make Khari Biscuit recipe with detailed step by step photos.
- For making the khari biscuit, combine the plain flour, salt, vinegar and gluten in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a stiff dough using approx. 1 cup of ice cold water. Make sure you knead the dough, while stretching it for 10 to 15 minutes on a clean dry surface till it is smooth and glossy.
- Dust a clean, flat surface with a little plain flour, place the dough on it and roll it using a thick rolling pin into a 250 mm. × 150 mm. (10” x 6”) rectangle.
- Spread the margarine evenly on two-third portion of the rectangle with your hands.
- Fold the portion with no margarine side till the centre and then fold the margarine portion over it so that both the portions overlap each other.
- Press and seal the two open sides using your finger tips.
- Again dust the flat surface with a little plain flour, place the dough on it and again roll it using a thick rolling pin into a 300 mm. × 150 mm. (12” x 6”) rectangle.
- Again fold one side of the rectangle till the centre, then fold the other side overlapping the first side. Make sure the edges are also overlapping each other perfectly.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 one more time.
- Dust the flat surface once again with a little plain flour, place the dough on it and roll it using a thick rolling pin into a 300 mm. × 150 mm. (12” x 6”) rectangle.
- Now bring both the sides together in the centre but do not overlap them.
- Overlap the two folded sides over each other to form a book.
- Wrap it with cling wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cling wrap and cut into 2 halves horizontally.
- Dust the flat surface once again with a little plain flour, place one halve of the dough on it and roll it using a thick rolling pin into a 250 mm. × 150 mm. (10” x 6”) rectangle.
- Cut it into 8 equal pieces using a sharp knife.
- Repeat step 14 and 15 to get 8 more pieces using the other halve of the dough.
- Trim and even all the sides of each piece lightly using a sharp knife.
- Place all the pieces in a baking tray at regular intervals and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c ( 360°f) for 25 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 160°c (320°f) and bake again for 25 minutes.
- Cool the khari biscuits lightly and serve warm or store it in an air tight container. Use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per khari biscuit
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.