Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7955 times
Yummy bitter gourds or karela stuff recipe for both karela lovers and those who shy away from the bitter karela taste. The spicy onion masala stuffing works wonders with karela and potatoes.
Add your private note
Karela Stuff recipe - How to make Karela Stuff
Preparation Time: Preparation Time : 20 mins. Cooking Time: Cooking Time : 60 mins. Total Time:
- Peel the karelas and keep the peel aside for use in another recipe (karela theplas).
- Slit each one lengthwise. using a sharp knife, scoop out the insides carefully creating a hollow in the centre. apply a little salt to the inside and outside of the karelas and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. when they crackle, add the soaked moong dal, green chilli, ginger, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Add ½ cup of water, cover and allow the dal to cook on a slow flame till it is soft and sticky.
- Add the coriander leaves and mix well. cool a little.
- Fill this mixture into the karelas and steam them for 10 to 15 minutes till they are cooked. cut each karela into 2 and keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and red pumpkin with ¾ cup of water and cook over a slow flame till the tomatoes and pumpkin are soft. allow to cool completely and remove the cloves and cinnamon and discard them.
- Blend the mixture into a smooth purée.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the puréed tomato mixture, kasoori methi, chilli powder and salt and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Dissolve the cornflour in the milk and add it to the prepared gravy. simmer for a few minutes.
- Place the steamed karelas on a serving plate and pour the hot makhani gravy over it.
- Serve hot with chapatis.
This recipe was contributed by vishakha_p on 28 May 2002
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.