Kanji Vada, Rajasthani Kanji Vada
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 183 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 80631 times
This is a marwari delicacy of moong dal vadas immersed in tangy mustard flavoured liquid. The 'kanji' or 'rai ka pani' as it is known needs to be prepared a day in advance so that all the flavours mellow down.
The vadas are added the following day. Kanji vadas are a popular snack sold on the streets throughout Rajasthan. Chukandar (beetroot) kanji is also popular and is specially prepared for the festival of Holi.
Instead of moong dal vadas, large chunks of beetroot are marinated in 'rai ka pani' or 'rai ka achaar' to give it a rich red colour. Serve plenty of kanji with the vadas so that you can enjoy a large sip of the kanji once the vadas are polished off.
Also try other Rajasthani snacks like Pyaaz ki Kachori and Khamiri Green Peas Puris .
- Combine all the ingredients and blend in a mixer to a smooth powder.
- Transfer the powder into a deep bowl, add 5 cups of water and mix well. Cover it with a lid and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Blend the moong dal in a mixer to a coarse paste without using any water.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, fennel seeds, asafoetida and salt and mix well.
- Wet your hands, take 1½ tbsp of the dal paste on your palm or on a sheet of wet plastic and shape into a 25 mm. (1") diameter circle. Drop it in hot oil and deep-fry on a medium flame till it turns golden brown in colour from all the sides. 2 to 3 vadas can be deep-fried at a time in one batch.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and soak the deep-freid vadas immediately in a bowlful of water for at least 1 hour. Drain and squeeze out all the water by pressing each vada gently between your palms.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make more vadas. Keep aside.
- Place the vadas in the kanji and refrigerate it. Allow them to soak for at least 1 hour.
- Serve chilled.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per vada
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.