Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 6943 times
Idli or as is commonly known as idlis are prepared from a batter of rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds. This idli batter is steamed and served soft and spongy with coconut or tomato chutney as snack or breakfast.
- Soak urud dhal and fenugreek seeds together for 6-8 hrs.
- Soak the rice separately for 6-8 hours.
- Wash and grind the dhal with the cooked rice & yellu oil to a smooth, airy, fluffy batter using a little water, now add the rice after washing well to the batter & continue to grind till the rice/dhal batter resemble a few fine rava texture, remove from grinder,
- Put into a vessel add salt mix well - leave to ferment.
- Keep the batter in a warm place -
- Take the idle vessel, fill it with 4-6 cups of water & place on heat
- Take the idly trays grease it with yellu oil, pour a ladleful of the batter into greased moulds,
- Place these mould into the idly vessel cover the vesset & leave to cook
- Once you find steam escaping from the cover, lower the flame & leave to cooker for 10 minutes
- Remove from heat & leave to cool down for 5-7 mins.
- Then open the vessel, remove the trays, sprinkle with cold water, take a flat spoon & remove the iddlys from the dent’s place in a plate drizzle a little ghee on each iddly & serve with chutney’s/sambar/iddly mulagai podi
This recipe was contributed by pearlie on 28 Feb 2004
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.