Healthy Vada Pav
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 247 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 70162 times
Yummmmm, Vada Pav ! It is now possible to prepare Mumbai’s favourite street food in a healthy form that has less than half the fat and much less calories than the authentic vendor-made version.
This is made possible by modifying the cooking method slightly, avoiding deep-frying, and replacing the refined flour Laddi Pav with a wholesome whole wheat one.
Now you can relish Healthy Vada Pav with much less guilt. Just take care to serve immediately to preserve the texture of the vadas and enjoy them occasionally.
A glass of Kokum Sherbet or Piyush is very refreshing after snacking on vada pavs.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the ginger, green chillies and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the potatoes, salt and turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Divide it into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into a round, flat vada.
- Dip each vada in the batter and place them in a hot broad non-stick pan.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, using ? tsp of oil per vada.
- Turn upside down, cover again and cook on a slow flame for another 3 to 4 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour. Keep aside.
- Slit a pav horizontally, apply a little sukhi lehsun ki chutney on the inner sides of the pav and stuff with a hot vada.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more vada pavs.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per vada pav
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.