Green Pea Poha, Matar Poha
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 319 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 322874 times
Iron-rich poha is an all-time favourite breakfast recipe, especially in Maharashtra. In fact, poha can be had any time – packed in a box, a snack on the move, or a tea-time accompaniment. While you might be familiar with the common Batata Poha , Green Peas Poha is a healthier alternative, with fibre-rich green peas.
Vitamin C, present in the lemon juice, aids the absorption of iron from the poha, ensuring that you get the most of the nutrients in it. With the best of both worlds – taste and health – Green Peas Poha is worth giving a try!
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Dd the green peas, 2 tbsp of water, salt and turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the beaten rice in a sieve and hold it under running water for a few seconds. Toss well to drain out all the excess water.
- Add the washed and drained beaten rice, ginger-green chilli paste, sugar, lemon juice, milk and a little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander, mix well and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Pack in an air-tight box.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 161 calories|
|Protein|| 3.5 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 28.5 gm|
|Fat|| 2.9 g|
|Iron|| 6.4 mg|
|Fibre|| 1.8 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.