Chocolate Meringue Pie
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 27 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10670 times
Short crust pastries packed with chocolaty custard, the Chocolate Meringue Pie is every chocolate lover’s dream. This international delicacy is light and chocolaty, and the chocolate just oozes out when you cut it.
The fluffy and light texture of this dessert is due to the use of eggs in the preparation of the chocolaty custard. On top of that, a mixture of eggs beaten with sugar is also added before baking. All of this results in a dessert with an ethereal texture and heavenly flavour. Make sure you serve the Chocolate Meringue Pie warm.
Try other chocolate-based desserts like Chocolate Mousse , Chocolate Pie , Akhrot Choco Tarts , Chocolate Apple Ring and Chocolate Doughnuts .
- Sieve the plain flour. Add the butter and salt and rub in with your fingertips.
- Add approx. 1 tbsp of ice-cold water to make a dough.
- Roll out the dough to about 3 mm. Thickness.
- Arrange the rolled out dough in a 150 mm. (6”) diameter pie dish.
- Press the dough into pie dish and prick with a fork on the bottom and sides.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 minutes. Keep aside.
- Separate the egg yolk and the egg white in two separate bowls.
- Combine the sugar, cocoa powder, plain four, salt, vanilla essence, milk and egg yolk, in a deep glass bowl and mix well.
- Place the bowl over boiling water and cook it on a medium flame for 14 to 15 minutes or till it thickens. Cool completely.
- Pour this mixture over in the baked short crust pastry and allow it to chill for ½ hour in the refrigerator.
- Combine the castor sugar and egg white in a deep bowl, and beat it using an electric beater till soft peaks appear.
- Pour this mixture over the chilled chocolate layer and bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes.
- Cut it into equal wedges and serve warm.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.