Basic Kolhapuri Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 90 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 64590 times
Hailing from the Kolhapur region as the name suggests, this is a medium spicy gravy with the enticing tang of tomatoes and the crunch of sautéed onions.
Cashews give the gravy a rich flavour and mouth-feel, while a horde of spice powders and pastes, including a special Malvani Masala, give the Basic Kolhapuri Gravy a brilliant flavour. Being a tangy and medium-spicy one, this gravy is quite versatile and goes well with a range of vegetables, paneer and beans too.
- Combine the tomatoes, cashews, kashmiri red chillies and 2 tbsp of water in a mixer and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil and butter in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, bayleaf, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the garlic paste, ginger paste and green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes- cashew mixture, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, malvani masala and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Use as required or cool completely and store in an air-tight container in the freezer for 2 weeks.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.