Basic White Gravy, White Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 74 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 97147 times
White gravy, this curd-based gravy is prominent in North Indian cuisine.
It is white to off-white in colour and bland in taste compared to other gravies. It is made richer and creamier with the extensive use of cashewnuts and cream.
Combined with mixed vegetables, paneer, koftas or soya chunks, this can be used to whip up delectable recipes such as Hariyali Kofta .
- Combine all the ingredients along with ¾ cup of water in a kadhai, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the cardamom, cloves and bayleaf and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the prepared onion paste and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the curds, mix well and cook on a slow flame for a few seconds, while stirring continuously.
- Switch off the flame, add the fresh cream and salt and mix well. Use as required.
- Use this gravy on the same day to make recipes of your choice. If you wish to store it in the deep-freezer for a few weeks, ensure that you avoid adding curds and cream as they may get spoilt on storing.
- Cool the gravy completely, pour in food-grade zip lock bags or airtight containers and store under refrigerated conditions. While making the subzi using the stored gravy, thaw and use it as per the recipe.
- Towards the end, add the curds and cream, mix well and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||538.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||15.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||13 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.