Basic Spinach Gravy ( Popular Restaurant Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 128 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 81358 times
Basic spinach gravy, this is a very basic gravy that can be used with a variety of vegetables to make subzis. It has a natural dark green colour, and a medium spicy taste because of the combination of ingredients like green chillies and curds. It is best to blanch and then use the spinach so that it maintains the bright green colour. Once blanched, cool and blend to a smooth paste using a mixer, and then use as a base for the gravy.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the curds, mix well and cook on a slow flame for a minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the spinach purée, sugar and salt, mix well and simmer for another 2 minutes, stirring once in between. Use as required.
- Use this gravy on the same day to make recipes of your choice. If you wish to store it in the deep-freezer for a few weeks, avoid adding curds and coconut as the gravy may get spoilt on storing.
- Pour in food-grade zip lock bags or air-tight containers and store under refrigerated conditions. While making the subzi using the stored gravy, thaw and use it as per the recipe.
- Towards the end, add curds and 1 tbsp thick coconut milk instead of freshly grated coconut, mix well and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.