Malvani Masala, Homemade Maharashtrian Malvani Masala
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5760 times
Malvani Masala is a popular Maharashtrian spice mix, which is used to flavour curries and subzis. This dry spice powder has a very appetizing flavour and irresistible aroma, which results from the interplay of over a dozen spices!
After roasting, let the spices cool before you powder them, only then you will get the proper smooth consistency – if you try to grind when the spices are hot, the powder will clump up.
Make a batch of this masala and store it in a dry, airtight container away from direct sunlight. Keep the jar well-lidded so that the aroma is locked in.
You can also stock up on other dry homemade masalas like Biryani Masala , Tandoori Masala and Sambar Masala .
Add your private note
Malvani Masala, Homemade Maharashtrian Malvani Masala recipe - How to make Malvani Masala, Homemade Maharashtrian Malvani Masala
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 1.25 cups
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add all the ingredients, except the turmeric powder and nutmeg and sauté on a slow flame for 4 minutes.
- Switch off the flame, add the turmeric powder and nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Transfer into a big plate and cool it completely.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.