Last Updated : Apr 09,2022
Viewed 37579 times
Also Known as
Pathar Phool, Kalpasi (Tamil), Riham karmani (Urdu), Kalahu (Kannada), Kallupachi (Tamil), Shaileyam (Sanskrit)
Description of Dagad Phool
Dagad phool is a type of dried flower, lichen used as a dry spice in Indian cuisine. It has a unique earthy aroma and flavor which makes it a rare component of various Indian spice mixes. They do not have a peculiar shape and may vary in colour but, are generally found in black, brown, grey, pale green shade, also the color changes depending on when a lichen is wet or dry. It is also used in making gravies, especially in Chettinad preparation.
How to Select Dagad Phool
• Dagad Phool is readily available in grocery stores and supermarkets.
• When purchasing Dagad Phool, ensure they are whole and not shrivelled
• Stock them in smaller quantity, as hoarding them in large quantity leads to loss of flavor.
• Feel the packet to make sure there are no lumps, which indicate moisture in the pack, that results in discoloration and contamination.
4 Culinary Uses of Dagad Phool
1. It is used to make Goda Masala, that is an important ingredient in Maharashtrian cuisine.
2. It is also widely used in making the potli masala of non-vegetarian preparations like Naali Nihari and biryani.
3. Chettinad cuisine also makes use of this lichen to make marinades. It releases a very strong aroma when tempered for gravies and curries.
4. Apart from this, it is used to make various Indian spice mix like curry powder, garam masala, East Indian bottle masala.
How to Store Dagad Phool
• It will stay good for a year in dry conditions.
• Store in an air-tight container and use as required. It retains the flavour and aroma when stored in a cool and dry place.
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.