Baked Chole Parcels, Chole Stuffed in Bun
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 10 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 8525 times
Bored of having chole with bhature? Here is a yummy variation, in a handy, easy-to-serve snack-style format.
A spicy and tangy chole preparation is placed inside a plain flour dough leavened with yeast, and baked in an oven. Somewhat like a chole stuffed bun, these Baked Chole Parcels have a fluffy texture with a scrumptious centre filling.
You must prepare the chole 1-3 hours in advance and allow it to cool before stuffing it into the dough, in order to get the right texture.
The Baked Chole Parcels are wonderful to serve as a snack with tea or as a starter at a party. Try other chole recipes like Chole Tikki Chaat and Pindi Chole Roll .
- Combine the yeast, sugar and ¼ cup of warm water in a small bowl and mix well. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, salt and yeast-sugar mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough warm water.
- Add the butter and knead well till smooth. Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 45 minutes.
- Knead the dough again to remove the excess air and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, cumin seeds and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 6 minutes.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, green chillies, tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the turmeric powder, chole masala, asafoetida, cumin seeds powder, coriander powder, dried fenugreek leaves and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the kabuli chana, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, mashing it lightly with the back of a spoon, while stirring occasionally.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal portions and roll 2 portions of the dough into a 75mm. (3”) diameter circle using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the prepared chole in the centre, apply little water on the sides and place another rolled portion over it.
- Press it very well on the sides to seal it tightly.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make remaining 7 parcels and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the parcels on a greased baking tray at equal intervals between each parcels for expansion and bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 minutes.
- Brush the parcels with butter and serve immediately with mango pickle.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per parcel
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.