dried ginger powder
Viewed 9461 times
Also Known As
Dry Ginger powder, Soonth powder, Sunth powder, Sukku
Dried ginger is nothing but fresh ginger which undergoes a drying process before being used. The fresh rhizomes are soaked in water overnight after which the outer peel is carefully removed using a knife or a peeler. They are washed again and then sun dried on mats or barbecues for around a week. During this period, they are turned periodically. The end result is a pale white dried ginger. Many a times, dried ginger is bleached with calcium carbonate to get a whitish covering on ginger. However, this is not required and can be avoided. This ginger is then powdered in a mixer to obtain dried ginger powder. It's a fine off whitish powder which has a strong aroma and slightly pungent flavour.
How to select
Dried ginger powder will be fine off whitish powder which has a strong aroma and slightly pungent flavour.
· Dried ginger powder is used in making spices and masalas which are used in gravies, curries, marinades, stews etc.
· Dried ginger powder is combined along with cardamom, cinnamon, fennel and cloves to make masala tea powder which is used in brewed teas.
· It is used in Indian, specifically Punjabi marinades for Tandoori starters, veg as well as non veg.
· It is commonly used to flavour gingerbreads.
· Dried Ginger powder is also used in certain food preparations particularly for expecting women and feeding mothers, the most popular one being Katlu which is a mixture of gum resin, ghee, dried ginger powder, nuts, and sugar.
· Dried ginger powder is used in tea or coffee and also in siddha medicine.
How to store
Always store dried ginger powder in an air tight container in a cool dry place away from moisture and humidity.
· Dried Ginger powder is an effective cure for indigestion, sore throat, cold and cough.
· It is used to treat nausea.
· Ginger's therapeutic properties help stimulate blood circulation, cleanse the bowels and kidneys, remove toxins from the body and nourish the skin.
· It is used in the treatment of asthma and other respiratory problems.