Turiya Mag Ni Dal ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 204 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 66242 times
This is a day-to-day preparation in gujarati households, preferred mainly due to its simplicity. With a hint of basic gujarati spices and a peppiness imparted by lemon juice, this preparation of ridge gourd and moong dal is quite unique and entertaining in its own way. Turiya mag ni dal is indeed very light and a good choice for those who want to diet by cutting out on starch and oil.
- Soak the moong dal in enough warm water for 1 hour. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the ridge gourd and soaked moong dal and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add 2½ cups of water, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 12 to 15 minutes or till the ridge gourd becomes tender and the dal is cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.