Ullundu Kali, Black Gram Dal Porridge
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7985 times
A mildly-sweet thick porridge that just slides down your throat, leaving a warm and comforting feeling. This is a traditional recipe from rural Tamil Nadu, and is believed to strength the bones.
It is given regularly to young girls and pregnant women as they require a good dose of iron and protein , but it is also good for everyone else so the whole family enjoys it.
While this recipe can be made as a loose porridge or as a thick one, kali traditionally means a thick porridge of an halwa-like consistency, so it is best made like that.
Despite the intense taste and rich aroma of this porridge, it uses very little oil and no coconut. It is good to have as a snack any time of the day, and a wonderful way to harness the protein and iron in urad dal .
- Combine the jaggery and ¼ cup of water in a broad non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Dry roast the urad dal in another broad non-stick pan on a medium flame for 1 minute. Cool completely.
- Once cooled, blend it in a mixer to a smooth powder.
- Transfer the urad dal powder in a deep bowl, add 1 cup of water and mix well using a whisk.
- Add the jaggery-water mixture to it and mix well using a whisk.
- Pour the mixture in a broad non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sesame oil and dried ginger powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.