Moong Dal with Spinach (Iron Rich Recipe) Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 7415 times
Though prepared in various different ways across the country, Moong Dal with Spinach is nevertheless a favourite combination in desi cooking. Here, we have made a low calorie version of this delicious iron-rich dal. This recipe is chock full of nutrients, as spinach brings protein, garlic has anti-bacterial and other medicinal properties, and green moong is full of protein, iron, vitamin A, fibre and zinc. Take care to just partially cook the dal so as to retain its crunch.
Recipe Description for Moong Dal with Spinach
- Soak the green moong dal in enough water in a bowl for 2 hours and drain.
- Boil a vesselful of water, add the drained green moong dal, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till it is partially cooked, while stirring occasionally. Drain well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the prepared paste and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes along with 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the tomatoes turn soft, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach, cooked green moong dal, dried mango powder, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
See step by step images of Moong Dal with Spinach Recipe
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.