How many calories does one serving of Whole Wheat Pasta in Tomato Sauce have?
One serving of Whole Wheat Pasta in Tomato Sauce gives 213 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 144 calories, proteins account for 29 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 40 calories. One serving of Whole Wheat Pasta in Tomato Sauce provides about 11 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Whole Wheat Pasta in Tomato Sauce recipe. Whole wheat pasta, savour this healthy Italian delicacy, which is also a rich source of protein and fibre! The Italian diet which is known for its high-calorie pasta preparations and its cheesy sauces has been converted into high fibre version. As the name suggests, whole-wheat pasta has been used instead of plain flour pasta, mixed with a scrumptious tomato sauce and loads of veggies that you’ll surely love.
Is Whole Wheat Pasta in Tomato Sauce healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Whole Wheat pasta : Whole wheat pasta is made from Whole wheat flour which is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Whole wheat flour is rich in Phosphorus which is a major mineral which works closely with calcium to build our bones. Vitamin B9 helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially increase red blood cells. See detailed benefits of whole wheat flour and why it's good for you.
2. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
3. Tomatoes : Tomatoes are extremely rich source of Lycopene. Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in Vitamin C, good for heart. Tomatoes are a Pregnant women's friend and are rich in Folate or Folic Acid which helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Read about 13 amazing benefits of tomatoes.
What's the problem?
Sweet Corn : The pros. Sweet corn in a rich in fibre. The high vitamin B3 – 2.61 mg / cup is known to reduce cholesterol levels in body and in turn promote heart health. Sweet corn is good for pregnancy as high folate content and antioxidants - lutein is good for the foetus.The cons. the glycemic index of sweet corn is said to be between 55 to 58 and hence not suited for diabetics. Read the article is sweet corn healthy?
Cornflour ( Cornstarch) : Pros. Cornflour is easy to digest because of the presence of insoluble fiber, thus benefits the gut. It’s gluten-free and can be consumed by those who cannot afford to stock wheat. Cons. Cornflour is full of calories and carbs like refined sugar, thus a barrier to weight reduction. Those on weight loss diet must definitely not reach out for it. The high crabs makes it a No-No for a diabetic meal and restricted for heart patients. Read for more details is cornflour healthy?
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Whole Wheat Pasta in Tomato Sauce ?
No for diabetics as there is sweet corn and cornflour used. Restricted usage for heart and weight loss and the best is to skip usage of sweet corn in this recipe and replace with any healthy vegetable.
Can healthy individuals have Whole Wheat Pasta in Tomato Sauce?
Yes, this is healthier than having pasta made from maida. We would also recommend not using sweet corn or cutting the amount used in the recipe.
Whole Wheat Pasta in Tomato Sauce is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
3. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
4. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 213 calories that come from Whole Wheat Pasta in Tomato Sauce?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 4 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 21 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 28 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 37 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.