How many calories does one serving of Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi have?
One serving of Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi gives 276 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 97 calories, proteins account for 40 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 124 calories. One serving of Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi provides about 14 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi recipe. Freshly prepared pakodis of besan perked up with coriander, green chillies and green chillies are floated in a mouth-watering kadhi.
The kadhi is quite richly flavoured with an assortment of spices ranging from cloves and cinnamon to fenugreek and coriander seeds, and the pakodas are an added attraction that make the Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi thoroughly irresistible!
Make sure you simmer the kadhi for just a minute or two after adding the pakodas so that they absorb the flavours but do not become soggy.
Is Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
2. Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. See detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
3. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
What's the problem?
Deep fried foods : This pakoda is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. It also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Punjabi pakoda kadhi ?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss as there is deep fried food. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health.
We suggest you make this healthy kadhi recipe made for diabetics, weight loss and heart patients.
Healthy Kadhi, Low Fat Kadhi Recipe
Can healthy individuals have Punjabi pakoda kadhi?
No, this recipe is healthy.
Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
3. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
4.Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
5. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 276 calories that come from Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 23 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 28 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 37 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 47 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.