How many calories does one serving of Karela Kadhi have?
One serving of Karela Kadhi gives 67 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 36 calories, proteins account for 14 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 16 calories. One serving of Karela Kadhi provides about 3 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Karela Kadhi recipe. Another karela delicacy - an innovative calcium rich kadhi! Keep in mind however that the karelas must be well cooked before adding the curds and spices to remove most of its bitterness. Enjoy it unusual flavours.
Is Karela Kadhi healthy?
Yes, this is healthy.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Karela ( bitter gourd) : Anyone who has just been detected with diabetes is advised to eat karela by all. Many studies have shown that they contain insulin like substances which help to keep blood sugar under control. Moreover the carb count of this gourd is also low, which is an added advantage for diabetics. Bitter gourd not only reduces intestinal disorders like constipation but is equally beneficial for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). See detailed benefits of bitter gourd karela.
2. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
3. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Karela Kadhi ?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Anyone who has just been detected with diabetes is advised to eat karela by all. Many studies have shown that they contain insulin like substances which help to keep blood sugar under control. The quercetin in onions promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body.
Can healthy individuals have Karela Kadhi ?
Karela Kadhi is good for
1. Healthy Recipes Lifestyle
2. Weight Loss Dals
3. Diabetics with heart issues
4. Healthy Heart Dals
5. Weight loss after Pregnancy
7. Cold and cough
8. Diabetic Dals
9. Pregnancy First Trimester
Karela Kadhi is high in
1. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 67 calories that come from one Karela Kadhi?
Walking (6 kmph) =
Running (11 kmph) =
Cycling (30 kmph) =
Swimming (2 kmph) =
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.