How many calories does one serving of Bhatia Kadhi have?
One serving of Bhatia Kadhi gives 348 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 211 calories, proteins account for 49 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 88 calories. One serving of Bhatia Kadhii provides about 17 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Bhatia kadhi recipe. As the name suggests, this kadhi recipe hails from the bhatia community. It is a sweet and sour version made with cooked toovar dal water, curds and vegetables. This interesting combination of ingredients makes all the difference—be it in terms of taste or aroma. You can even add sliced potatoes to this recipe.
Is Bhatia Kadhi healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Toor Dal (tuvar dal, arhar dal, toovar dal) : Toor dal is rich in proteins, the building block of good health. High in fiber, diabetic and heart friendly. Being an excellent source of folic acid, pregnant women must include toor dal in their daily diet. Being an excellent source of fibre it helps in preventing and relieving gastric problems like constipation. See detailed benefits of toor dal.
2. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
3. Bhindi (lady finger, okra) : The vitamin Folate (B9) present in lady finger is required in blood RBC production. There are also fair amounts of Vitamin C, which boosts immunity. There are good amounts for dietary fiber present and hence good for diabetics and weight loss. It lowers cholesterol and good for heart. See the 10 amazing benefits of lady finger.
4. Mooli (Radish) : Radish has many heart protective nutrients like Vitamin C, folic acid, calcium, potassium and flavonoids. They are an amazing source of fibre which helps in lowering cholesterol levels. The vitamin C in radishes is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory which can help arthritis patients. Potassium from radish can help lower your risk of kidney stones. See detailed benefits of radish.
5. Banana : Banana is high in potassium. Potassium helps normalize the heartbeat and regulates the body's water balance. Bananas have low sodium content and high potassium content, and contribute for making it an ideal fruit for hypertensives. See the 7 incredible benefits of banana.
6. Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. See detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
What's the problem?
Jaggery (Gur) : When compared to sugar, which provides only empty calories, jaggery is considered to be a superior natural sweetener. Sugar is definitely one of the causes of many chronic diseases, but jaggery too needs to be consumed in moderate amounts. What you would consume is just about a tbsp (18 g) or a tsp (6 g). While those with heart diseases and weight loss can have a dessert made with this quantity of jaggery occasionally as an option to refined sugar, but diabetics need to avoid this sweetener too as it can spike blood sugar levels instantly. Read is jaggery healthy for complete details.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Bhatia Kadhi ?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss but use low fat curds and cut the jaggery in the recipe. This recipe has lots of good ingredients going into it like fibre rich vegetables. Toor dal is rich in proteins, the building block of good health. High in fiber, diabetic and heart friendly. Cut banana usage by a bit for diabetics.
Low Fat Curds ( How To Make Low Fat Curds)
Can healthy individuals have Bhatia Kadhi ?
Yes, this recipe is good. Lots of good stuff in it. Cut usage of jaggery a bit.
How to burn 348 calories that come from one serving of Bhatia Kadhi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 44 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 35 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 46 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 60 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.