How many calories does 1 Bajra Roti have?
One Bajra Roti gives 119 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 76 calories, proteins account for 13 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 30 calories. One Bajra Roti provides about 6 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view. bajra roti recipe. bajra roti recipe | bajre ki roti | healthy pearl millet roti | Rajasthani bajra roti | Sajje Roti | with amazing 16 photos
Though bajra is grown only in certain parts of Rajasthan, bajra rotis are relished all over the state. Thickly rolled bajra rotis are cooked over "kanda" (cow dung cakes) in the villages. That is the authentic way of preparing them because it imparts a smoked flavour to the rotis.
We have made this simple recipe of Bajra roti by kneading bajra flour with little whole wheat flour together with little salt. Whole wheat flour makes rolling and binding bajre ki roti easier. Knead the dough with warm water as the dough become pliable and easy to knead and roll. This helps in getting pearl millet roti a soft texture.
The Rajasthani bajra roti are thickly rolled, cooked on a tava and then roast over open flame till brown spots appear. Traditionally white butter also known as makhan is smeared on it or if that is not available you can use ghee.
Bajra Roti is a traditional Indian flatbread made with bajra or black pearl millet flour making it extremely nutritious. Bajra flour is high in protein and is a complete protein for vegetarians when combined with dal. So as a Vegetarian, include bajra in your diet.
If you are looking for a gluten free option you can replace the whole wheat flour and only knead bajra flour alone to make bajre ki roti . I remember, my grandmother would roll the roti using her palm and cook it on a earthen clay tava on a chulha, which would give bajra roti a smoky flavor.
Is Bajra Roti healthy?
Yes, Bajra Roti is healthy as its made of bajra flour and whole wheat flour which are both super foods.
Beneftis of Bajra Flour
1. Bajra Roti is high in proteins for muscle building and insoluble fibre good for maintaining normal cholesterol levels as well blood glucose levels.
2. Bajra Roti forms a complete protein for Vegetarians when combined with legumes like rajma, moong dal, urad dal, toovar dal, chana dal.
3. On a Gluten Free diet, then Bajra Roti is a super option.
4. Bajra is rich in Magnesium which improves insulin response by lowering insulin resistance which is good for Diabetics. Having very low magnesium will result in the pancreas not secrete enough insulin to control our blood sugar.
5. Bajra and all Millets are rich in Potassium. Potassium is critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium.
1. Whole Wheat flour : 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour is used. Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. See detailed benefits of whole wheat flour and why it's good for you.
Bajra Roti is like a super food with so many health benefits. Consume it regularly with your Indian meals and its way better option than having Naan, Kulchas which are not that healthy as they are made with refined flour which can cause inflammation to the body.
Bajra Roti article you will like:
Is bajra roti or whole wheat roti healthier.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Bajra Roti?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Bajra is rich in Magnesium which improves insulin response by lowering insulin resistance which is good for Diabetics and healthy heart.
Yes, this is healthy but when having cereals such as jowar, bajra, buckwheat, ragi, oats and barley, it's best to have some low fat curds with it for diabetics to reduce the carbohydrate load and it is recommended to control portion size of the cereal. Good for heart and weight loss but control portion size.
Low Fat Curds ( How To Make Low Fat Curds)
Bajra roti can be had with some very healthy sabzis like dahi bhindi ki sabzi recipe, mooli ki sabzi recipe, bhindi masala recipe.
Can healthy individuals have bajra roti?
Iron Rich Bajra Roti – A Healthy Indian Bread. Bajra flour is most commonly used to make roti or rotla. It abounds in iron, which helps to build your hemoglobin levels and help you, stay steer of weakness and fatigue. It helps enhance your concentration level too. While the Bajar Rotla is made only with bajra flour, this Bajra Roti makes use of some wheat flour too. You can increase your fiber intake by adding a few grated veggies like cabbage, carrot, broccoli etc. These will help you cleanse your digestive tract and stay fit. Each Bajra Roti provides 2.1 mg of iron, which is nearly about 10% of your total daily requirement. 2 of these rotis will keep satiated for long hours and make up for many nutrient requirements. Try it!
Bajra Roti is good for
1. Weight Loss
3. Heart Patients
4. Healthy Lifestyle
5. Lower Acidity as its alkaline in nature
6. Lowers Blood Pressure
7. Relieves Constipation
8. Prevents anaemia
9. Rich in Folic Acid
10. Good for bones
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
How to burn 119 calories that come from Bajra Roti?
Walking (6 kmph) = 36 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 12 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 16 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 20 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.