How many calories does 1 serving of Rajasthani Pakoda Kadhi have?
One serving of Rajasthani Pakoda Kadhi gives 259 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 91 calories, proteins account for 38 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 115 calories. One serving of Rajasthani Pakoda Kadhi provides about 13 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view Rajasthani Pakoda Kadhi recipe. The highlight of the Rajasthani Pakoda Kadhi is the addition of crisp and fresh besan pakodas! This imparts a chewy, crunchy dimension to the kadhi making it more satiating. You will also find this kadhi to be more flavourful, as it uses a wider selection of spices than normal, everyday kadhi recipes. Such a splash of flavours is essential to enjoy food in extreme climates such as that found in Rajasthan.
Is Rajasthani Pakoda Kadhi healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
2. Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. See detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
3. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
What's the probelm?
Deep fried foods : This pakoda is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. It also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Rice Pakoda Kadhi ?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This pakoda is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption.
What is a healthy kadhi option?
You can follow this healthy kadhi low fat kadhi recipe.
Healthy Kadhi, Low Fat Kadhi Recipe
Can healthy individuals have Rice Pakoda Kadhi ?
No, this is not healthy. Follow the Healthy Kadhi, Low Fat Kadhi Recipe above.
Kadhi goes well with the following khichdi options : buckwheat moong and vegetable khichdi, vitamin khichdi, fada ni khichdi, bohri khichdi and buckwheat and sprouts khichdi. Note that these khichdi recipes have ZERO rice used in them and are diabetic, heart friendly.
Rajasthani Pakoda Kadhi is high in
1. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
2. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
3. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
4. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
5. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 259 calories that come from one serving of Rajasthani Pakoda Kadhi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 18 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 26 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 35 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 44 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.