How many calories does one serving of Corn Palak Pulao have?
One serving of Corn Palak Pulao gives 187 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 140 calories, proteins account for 18 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 33 calories. One serving of Corn Palak Pulao provides about 9 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Corn Palak Pulao recipe. Delicious and healthy, this is a dish that will win many a young heart with its mouthwatering combination of ingredients and attractive appearance! Tried and tested, the combination of corn and spinach works in almost any recipe thanks to their complementary colours, textures and flavours. This iron-rich Corn Palak Pulao is an easy and quick recipe that will do wonders for your whole family, especially for adolescent girls who need to quickly replenish the blood lost during menstruation.
Is Corn Palak Pulao healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Sweet Corn : The pros. Sweet corn in a rich in fibre. The high vitamin B3 – 2.61 mg / cup is known to reduce cholesterol levels in body and in turn promote heart health. Sweet corn is good for pregnancy as high folate content and antioxidants - lutein is good for the foetus.The cons. the glycemic index of sweet corn is said to be between 55 to 58 and hence not suited for diabetics and best to restrict the usage. Though sweet corn is a good source of fiber, low in fat and helps control appetite, considering that it is a vegetable it has more calories than other fiber rich veggies, so restrict usage for weight loss. So given a choice it is wise to opt for other veggies first. Read the article is sweet corn healthy?
2. Spinach (Palak) : Spinach is one of the richest plant sources of Iron and it should be part of a healthy diet for everyone. Raw spinach is very rich in insoluble fibre, 25% having soluble fiber and 75% insoluble fiber. Spinach is good for the heart, diabetics and eyes. Read this on the 17 benefits of spinach and why you should eat it.
3. Brown Rice : The glycemic indiex of brown rice is 20% lower than white rice Therefore, brown rice is good for people with diabetes if consumed in limited quantity. Being a good source of fibre that reduces high cholesterol levels and prevents atherosclerosis and good for your heart. Being a complex carbohydrate and low in GI. It is suitable for people on weight loss diet. See article is brown rice good for you?
4. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Corn Palak Pulao?
Yes, this recipe is good for heart and weight loss. Not good for diabetics as the glycemic index of sweet corn is said to be between 55 to 58 and hence not suited for diabetics and best to restrict the usage. Sweet corn in a rich in fibre. The high vitamin B3 – 2.61 mg / cup is known to reduce cholesterol levels in body and in turn promote heart health. Sweet Corn being a good source of fibre that reduces high cholesterol levels and prevents atherosclerosis and good for your heart. Being a complex carbohydrate and low in GI. It is suitable for people on weight loss diet.
Can healthy individuals have Corn Palak Pulao?
Corn Palak Pulao is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
3. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
4. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
5. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
6. Vitamin A : Vitamin A is crucial for healthy vision, cell growth and healthy skin.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 187 calories that come from Four Corn Palak Pulao?
Walking (6 kmph) = 56 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 19 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 25 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 32 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.