How do you store curry leaves, kadi patta?
We show you 3 ways to store curry leaves, first in the fridge, second to leaving them outside and third to freezing curry leaves. Lots of these answers have come from our cooking fans, we have added our thoughts and you are welcome to comment and leave your suggestions. For full details see what is curry leaves, kadi patta?
9 ways Storing curry leaves in the fridge.
1. Remove the stalks of the curry leaves and wash them. Hold all the stalks together like a bunch and tie it. Hang the bunch to drain the water and allow it to dry. Now line a box with paper towels and spread the stalks on the paper towel and use the paper towel again to cover it and close the box and keep it in the fridge. This way the curry leaves stay fresh for a longer time. You can make curry leaves chutney/ thuvayal.
2. Wash Curry leaves, spin in salad spinner to remove excess water and store in airtight container in the fridge. My favorite recipe using Curry leaves is 'curry leaves kuzhambu'
3. First, I wash the curry leaves and then pat them dry using kitchen towel and then store it in airtight container! Stays fresh for long.
4. Separate the curry leaves from the stem, wrap them in kitchen paper towel, should be covered properly as exposure shall lead to leaves wilting and changing color. Wrapping them thoroughly lasts the leaves for more than 10-12 days.
5. Curry leaves are one of the most important seasoning in our food. I wash and dry (sundry) curry leaves and then store in airtight container in the fridge. This way they last for a month or so.
6. Store curry leaves in a glass container in the refrigerator; cleaned and sorted, cut the stems and separate the leaves for max shelf life; wash it when want to use.
7. Cut the leaves n store in a zip lock bag in which I place tissue so that it absorbs moisture and most importantly I open that zip lock bag slightly
8. Take out the curry leaves. Wash, dry, wrap them in paper towel, put in an airtight container in a frdge. Stays good even up to a month.
9. Separate all curry leaves and wash them properly!! Take a plate and put tissue or cotton cloth on it, after that put all leaves on that and cover with tissue or clothe!! Keep it indoor and let it dry at room temperature naturally!! to store it you can use either glass jar or zip lock bag!! Put tissue first inside jar and then store leaves inside it, this will keep both color and aroma for long period as it is.
Storing curry leaves outside
1. Dry curry leaves in the sun for 2-3 days. Store them in an airtight container. You can store curry leaves outside or in the fridge.
2. Keep fresh curry leaves with its stalk immersed in a bottle of water, it will stay fresh for long. We can keep curry leaves outside. Grind a good bunch of curry leaves with your buttermilk, can add a few pods of garlic too. Have it in the morning and through the day, good for hydrating yourself and control cholesterol.
3. Wash the curry leaves and dry it thoroughly in a terry cloth. Grease your palms with any cooking oil and coat each leaves with oil by lightly rubbing it together. Store it in an airtight container. Will stay fresh and green for more than a week if kept outside also.
Freezing curry leaves
1. Wash the leaves and take a Tiffin box put a white hanky and the leaves in it cover the leaves with the hanky an close the box keep in freeze for one month it won't dry.
2. Remove the leaves from the stem. Store in a ziplock bag and keep in the freezer. This stays good for 4 months.
We would love to have your method of storing curry leaves and if they are good, we will be more than happy to inculde it in this article. Help us build the lovely cooking community. Please comment below.