Last Updated : Jun 17,2019
Viewed 87940 times
Also Known As
Kadi Patta, Kadipatta, Karivepallai, Sweet Neem leaves
Curry leaves are a sub tropical tree native to India. The green midsized leaves are joined to a main stem and have a faint aroma which can be experienced while cooking. Apart from being widely used in medicines, it is widely used in many cuisines. These leaves are used extensively in Southeast Asian cooking, adding a very distinct flavor and aroma to an assortment of dishes.
Chopped curry leaves
Clean, wash the curry leaves, pat dry them and place thme on a chopping board and cut thm into finely chopped or roughly chopped or torn pieces as per recipe requirements.
How to select
Ensure that the leaves are fresh and devoid of any cuts, spots or blemishes. They will be pale green or dark green in colour depending on the variety. Its better to purchase leaves which are attached to the stem so that they have a better shelf life.
· They are primarily used in Indian cuisine to temper recipes. Use torn curry leaves or whole as a tempering agent for dals, rasams, sambhar, chutneys, dhoklas etc.
· Use chopped curry leaves along with green chillies and ginger to flavour upmas.
· Dry roast curry leaves and combine with dried red chillies, asafoetida and urad dal to make spicy chutneys and powders which should be had with sesame oil and steamed rice.
How to store
They don't have a long shelf life and thus should be wrapped in a moist kitchen towel or newspaper and then stored in the refrigerator. Detach the leaves from the stem only before cooking.
· Curry leaves have antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti inflammatory properties and is thus used widely in Ayurvedic medicines.
· It aids digestion and thus one can chew curry leaves when having a tummy ache. It is especially good for preventing diarrhea.
· Scientific research has proven that inclusion of curry leaves is beneficial for people with diabetes. Curry leaves taken with black pepper on an empty stomach can reduce blood sugar levels.
· It helps in skin care too. Intake of curry leaves can promote clear and healthy skin.
· They are a fair source of Vitamin A and calcium.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.