14 ways to store fresh coriander (kothmir, cilantro) in the fridge.
What is the best way to store fresh coriander in the fridge was asked our fans and we got a super set of answers and added our own thoughts. Here are several options listed below. We thought this was logical topic to bring up as coriander will get spoilt within a day if left out. So let’s see how the Indian housewife suggests in storing fresh coriander?
1. First dry clean the whole bunch, then soak in plenty of water, at-least thrice then remove from water in a strainer. Sun dry it till all the water dries up. Now take Tupperware fridge smart box spread a tissue in it and keep your coriander or mint or methi leaves, it will stay fresh for a long time.
2. Prefer cotton cloth to tissues to dry coriander under the fan before putting it in the fridge.
3. Put coriander in the reusable plastic bag or zip lock bags. Don’t leave it open. Close it correctly. That’s how we can keep coriander fresh up-to 2 weeks at least and make sure there will be no water in plastic bag. Check it everyday.
4. Clean up the stems, wrap it in kitchen roll and place kothmir in steel airtight container in the fridge. It lasts for almost 8 to 10 days.
5. I always keep cilantro (coriander ) in jar half filled with water...they remain green and fresh for days inside the refrigerator.
6. Cut stems of coriander and fold in paper napkin and store in airtight plastic or glass container inside the refrigerator. I always do this.
7. Cut stems wrap it in cotton cloth and store it in airtight container. It will remain fresh for a week.
8. I always open the bunch remove the weeds, grass etc., cut the roots wash it and spread on the table for some time and keep it airtight box in fridge. Coriander remains as fresh up to a week.
9. I always clean the stem and then wrap coriander in muslin cloth it stays fresh till 20-25 days inside the refrigerator and the wash when required.
10. Fold coriander in cling film or brown paper or in a muslin cloth. It will stay fresh for a week inside the refrigerator, but if you are using cling film ensure the moisture is kept or locked no way of passing air.
11. Here in Bangalore we get this reusable ID idli/Dosa pouch. Wash the pack and dry it no moisture should be left in the pack. I buy a bunch of coriander cut the stem and store it in the pack. Take out how much you need wash it and use. 15 days nothing happens inside the refrigerator. I don't know whether such pouches are available in other parts of the country.
12. Cut the roots, for some time keep it on cotton cloth so extra water on coriander leaves will not be there, then wrap it in another dry cotton cloth and keep it in airtight container inside the refrigerator.
13. Hi. I clean them then wash all sand dirt off. Spin dry it and roll up in a clean cloth. Leave in fridge overnight. Next day I cut them up on board and freeze in a container. When you want use take out if freezer use and put away in freezer straight away. Note. “Do not leave container out before or after use.
14. First make sure they are dry. Then wrap tightly in kitchen paper and then put in a plastic container. If kitchen paper gets wet then change it every 3-4 days.
What not to do while storing coriander in the fridge?
Don’t wrap coriander in a newspaper. Carbon (ink) in the newspaper is cancer causing. Wrap coriander in kitchen paper not newspaper.
We would love to hear from you on your suggestions on how you store coriander. Your feedback is valuable to us.