by Tarla Dalal
Added to 131 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30746 times
An intensely flavoured mixed vegetable subzi from the kitchens of Maharashtra, the highlight of the Vegetable Kalvan is a rich paste of tomatoes, onions, coconut, other regular flavour enhancers and spice powders.
This paste together with a traditional tempering forms the mouth-watering gravy that holds an assortment of colourful and crunchy veggies like beans, carrots and cauliflower. A little bit of milk added to the gravy helps to balance the flavours and enhance the mouth-feel of this dish. Enjoy it hot with rice or rotis .
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions, ginger, garlic and curry leaves and sauté on a slow flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the desiccated coconut, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely. Once cooled, blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and the prepared gravy, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetables, milk, garam masala, sugar, salt and ¾ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||281.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||18.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||18.3 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.