Veg Toast Sandwich, Mumbai Roadside Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11373 times
veg toast sandwich | veg masala toast sandwich | mumbai aloo sandwich | mumbai street food | with 22 amazing images.
When you want a veg sandwich but are in no mood to settle for a plain one, go for this snazzy Veg Toast Sandwich which is actually a veg masala toast sandwich.
Here, in veg toast sandwich generously buttered bread slices are sandwiched with juicy and crunchy vegetable slices and a dash of peppy chutneys and sandwich masala, and toasted till it acquires a wonderful golden hue, an aroma that makes you drool and a flavour that deserves the highest ranking!
A garnish of crunchy sev adds to the drool-worthiness of this mumbai aloo sandwich snack. Make sure this veg toast sandwich is served immediately upon toasting, because the chutneys will tend to make the crisp bread soggy after a while.
I grew up eating the mumbai aloo sandwich on the streets of Mumbai. The chutney is spicy and loads of butter is put on the sandwich to make it nice and crisp. You can see lines of Mumbaikar’s line up even in the peak of summer at Breach Candy, Juhu and many other places for this veg masala toast sandwich.
Aside from veg masala toast sandwich try other Mumbai roadside recipes like Falooda or Bread Pakoda.
Enjoy how to make Veg Toast Sandwich recipe with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- To make veg toast sandwich, place 2 bread slices on a clean dry surface, apply ½ tsp of butter on each bread slice and spread it evenly.
- Spread 1 tsp of green chutney on each buttered bread slice and spread it evenly.
- Arrange 5 cucumber slices on one buttered-chutney bread slice, place 4 potato slices over it and sprinkle a little salt and ¼ tsp of sandwich masala evenly over it.
- Arrange 4 tomato slices, 2 onion slices, 2 capsicum slices and 1 beetroot slice evenly over it. Finally sprinkle a little salt and ¼ tsp of sandwich masala evenly over it.
- Cover it with another slice of bread, with the buttered-chutney side facing downwards and press it lightly.
- Spread ¼ tsp of butter evenly over it.
- Grease a sandwich toaster on both the sides using ½ tsp of butter.
- Place the sandwich in the sandwich toaster and cook on a medium flame, till it turns brown and crisp from both the sides.
- Cut the veg toast sandwich into 6 equal pieces, place it on a plate and apply ½ tsp of butter and ½ tsp of green chutney evenly over it.
- Finally sprinkle 1 tbsp of sev evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 1 to 10 to make 3 more veg toast sandwiches.
- Serve the veg toast sandwich immediately with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
Veg Toast Sandwich video by Tarla Dalal
Veg Toast Sandwich, Mumbai Roadside Recipe recipe with step by step photos
For smearing on bread slices, you need to make a spicy green chutney. Check out this recipe with detailed step by step photos and make Mumbai road-side green chutney recipe.
You would also require a tangy masala to sprinkle on the vegetables. Refer this recipe and make Sandwich Masala at home.
To make the veg toast sandwich, place 2 bread slices on a clean dry surface. We have used big white bread slices. You can also use Multigrain Bread or Whole Wheat Bread. You can lightly trim off the edges from the bread if you want.
Apply ½ tsp of butter on each bread slice and spread it evenly.
Spread 1 tsp of green chutney on each buttered bread slice and spread it evenly.
Arrange 5 cucumber slices on one buttered-chutney bread slice. Before placing the cucumber, just taste 1 from the batch to ensure it is fresh and not bitter.
Place 4 potato slices over it. We have boiled the aloo in pressure cooker, peeled & sliced them medium thick before placing. Another popular variety of the Mumbai roadiside sandwich is the Veg masala toast sandwich which makes use of a potato masala/potato sabzi instead of plain boiled potatoes.
Sprinkle a little salt and ¼ tsp of sandwich masala evenly over it.
Arrange 4 tomato slices.
Also, put 2 onion slices. If you are Jain, skip adding this & put some shredded cabbage instead.
Place 2 capsicum slices. You can use bell pepper to make it more colorful.
Furthermore, place 1 beetroot slice evenly over it. We have boiled the beetroot too before adding but, you can keep it raw if you like that extra crunch. To make a cheese vegetable toast sandwich, add a cheese slice or grated cheese over the beetroot slice at this stage.
Finally sprinkle a little salt and ¼ tsp of sandwich masala evenly over it.
Cover it with another slice of bread, with the buttered-chutney side facing downwards Press it lightly.
Spread ¼ tsp of butter evenly over it.
Grease a sandwich toaster on both sides using ½ tsp of butter. If you don’t have a hand toaster, make use of an electric toaster or sandwich griller.
Place the sandwich in the sandwich toaster.
Cook on a medium flame, till it turns brown and crisp from both sides. Our veg toast sandwich is ready!
Cut the vegetable toast sandwich into 6 equal pieces.
Place the toasted veg sandwich on a plate and apply ½ tsp of butter.
Also, apply ½ tsp of green chutney evenly over it. To make it spicy, also smear red garlic chutney over the toast sandwich.
Finally sprinkle 1 tbsp of sev evenly over it. You can also drizzle ketchup if you like.
Repeat steps 1 to 21 to make 3 more Bombay style veg toast sandwich.
Serve the Bombay vegetable toast sandwich with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
Check out other popular toast sandwich recipes like: Toasted Samosa Sandwich, Cheese Chilli Toast, Chutney Cheese Toast Sandwich.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.