Added to 51 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 42961 times
From small towns to cities, almost every bakery in India has the ever-popular Veg Puff, ready to warm and serve when a hungry customer arrives. Sometimes called the “common man’s pizza”, the Veg Puff has a unique flaky cover, enclosing a succulent mixed vegetable filling, which makes it both flavourful and satiating.
Some bakeries have variants like Paneer Puff and Chole Puff, in which the filling alone changes. What everybody thinks to be a secret recipe of bakeries can indeed be prepared at home too, right from scratch. Little things like brushing with milk and using ample margarine ensure that the flavour and texture are perfect. So, follow this recipe to the T and rest assured of a superb Veg Puff that will reap lots of compliments.
Veg Puff can double up as a delectable snack for High Tea Party , Birthday Party and also as an After School Treat .
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the green peas, carrot, french beans and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, coriander, salt and lemon juice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Divide the filling into 6 equal portions and keep aside.
- Combine the plain flour, salt, gluten and vinegar in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a stiff dough using approx. ½ cup of ice cold water. Make sure you knead the dough for 15 to 20 minutes till it is smooth and glossy.
- Dust the flat surface with a little plain flour. Place the dough on it and roll it using a thick rolling pin into a 250 mm. (10”) × 150 mm. (6”) rectangle.
- Spread the margarine on 2/3 portion of the rectangle with your hands.
- Fold the portion with no margarine side till the centre and then fold the margarine portion over it so that both the portions overlap each other.
- Press and seal the two open sides using your finger tips.
- Dust the flat surface again with a little plain flour. Place the dough on it and again roll it using a thick rolling pin into a 300 mm. (12”) × 150 mm. (6”) rectangle.
- Again fold one side of the rectangle till the centre, then fold the other side overlapping the first side. Make sure the edges are also overlapping each other perfectly.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 one more time.
- Dust the flat surface once again with a little plain flour. Place the dough on it and roll it using a thick rolling pin into a 300 mm. (12”) × 150 mm. (6”) rectangle.
- Now bring both the sides together in the centre but do not overlap them.
- Overlap the two folded sides over each other to form a book.
- Wrap in a cling wrap and keep refrigerated for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cling wrap and cut into 2 halves horizontally.
- Dust the flat surface once again with a little plain flour. Place one halve of the dough on it and roll it using a thick rolling pin into a 250 mm. (10”) × 150 mm. (6”) rectangle.
- Cut it into 3 equal pieces.
- Repeat step 14 and 15 to make 3 more pieces using the other halve of the dough.
- Place one rectangle on a clean, dry surface and place a portion of the veg filling on one half of the rectangle.
- Apple little milk on all the sides and fold over the other half of the rectangle so as to cover the filling. Seal the edges by using your fingertips so that the filling does not spill out.
- Trim and even the sides lightly using a sharp knife.
- Repeat steps 17 to 19 to make 5 more puffs.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 220°c( 440°f) for 15 minutes.
- Turn the tray and bake again at 220°c( 440°f) for 4 minutes.
- Then lower the temperature to 160°c (360°f) and bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and mustard sauce.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per puff
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.