Last Updated : Aug 24,2021
Viewed 64464 times
What is mustard sauce?
Mustard sauce refer to a sauce prepared by mixing mustard, vinegar, salt, Red chili pepper , sugar, and flour. This is a thick yellowish-brown paste with a sharp taste made from the ground seeds of a mustard plant (white or yellow mustard. A strong mustard sauce can cause the eyes to water, sting the palate and inflame the nasal passages. It can also cause allergic reaction. One of the factors that determines the strength of a prepared mustard is the temperature of the water, vinegar, or other liquid mixed with the ground seeds: hotter liquids are more hostile to the strength-producing compounds. Thus, hot mustard is made with cold water, while using hot water results in milder mustard. This pungent sauce is great for the bold taster. This sauce can be served as salad dressing or with fish and chicken. Use as an alternative to regular ketchup and top sandwiches and croquettes.
Mustards from Dijon generally contain both white wine and burgundy wine with mustard seeds paste. Mustards marketed as Dijon style may contain one or both of these wines or may substitute vinegar or another acid in order to conform to local laws.
Yellow mustard or American mustard is the most commonly used mustard in the United States and Canada, where it is sometimes referred to simply as "regular mustard". This is a very mild mustard colored bright yellow by the inclusion of turmeric. It was introduced as "cream salad mustard". This mustard is closely associated with hot dogs, deli sandwiches, and hamburgers.
Whole grain mustard
In wholegrain mustard, the seeds are not ground, but mixed whole with other ingredients. Different flavors and strengths can be achieved by using different blends of mustard seed species. Some variations have additives such as sun dried mustard and chili mustard.
Honey mustard sauce
Honey mustard, as the name suggests, is a blend of mustard and honey, usually in the ratio of 1:1. It is most often used as a topping for sandwiches and as a dip for chicken strips, french fries, onion rings, and other finger foods. It can also be used combined with vinegar and/or olive oil to make a salad dressing.
How to select mustard sauce
Always check the expiry date and look out for any discoloration or gas formation ( bubbles) in the bottle, especially near the tip.
Culinary Uses of mustard sauce in Indian Cooking
· The pungency of mustard is always reduced by heating, not just at the time of preparation; if added to a dish during cooking much of the effect of the mustard is lost.
· Mustard sauces usually come as a thick paste, and are used either as a dipping sauce or in stir frying. Ideal for breaded and fried foods, barbecue, hamburgers, tacos, rice, etc.
· Mustard is often used at the table as a condiment on meat. It is also used as an ingredient in mayonnaise, vinaigrettes.
· Marinating the chicken with mustard sauce and then grilling on a barbeque is fantastic.
· Along with its use on various sandwiches, yellow mustard is a key ingredient in many potato salads, barbecue sauces, and salad dressings.
· Pour this sauce over steamed vegetables for a beautiful combination of colour and flavour.
How to store mustard sauce
Keep the bottles in a dark cool cupboard for 3 months before using if you can. After opening the seal, keep sauce in the fridge and add a teaspoon to your next dish for its delectable taste.
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.