Tomato Upma, South Indian Tomato Upma
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 49 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 19767 times
This is a quick and easy breakfast , with an appetizing aroma and the tangy flavour of tomatoes.
The Tomato Upma is made with everyday ingredients and is absolutely no-fuss. Yet, it tastes so awesome because of the traditional tempering and the characteristic flavour of tomatoes.
You can also try other Upma recipes like Oats Upma and Ragi Upma .
- Combine the tomatoes in a mixer and blend to a smooth pulp. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the semolina and sauté on a medium flame for 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato pulp, chilli powder, sugar, salt and coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add 3 cups of hot water, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Tomato Upma Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.