by Tarla Dalal
Added to 91 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 66917 times
coriander upma recipe | quick kothambir upma | rava coriander upma | with 18 amazing images.
Coriander upma is just a tastier variation to traditional upma. The kothambir upma and method is quick and easy, can be made in a jiffy. Not even an amateur can go wrong with this one.
Looking for something different to relish for breakfast? Here we have a unique South Indian recipe which is “coriander upma”
The procedure of making coriander upma is divided into 2 steps. The first is making the coriander chutney and second is tempering. To make the chutney, blend coriander, green chili, sugar, cumin seeds, lemon juice into a smooth paste and keep aside. Further for the tempering, in a non-stick pan, add oil. You can even use ghee if you wish to, it will enhance the taste. Next, add urad dal and mustard seeds. Here, we have only added urad dal but you can add chana dal too , as it is used in the traditional upma recipe. Both together would give coriander upma a nice nutty flavor. Next, add asafeotida, curry leaves and onions. Once onions are cooked add the roasted semolina and the prepared chutney. Cook everything together. Add hot water and stir continuously making sure the coriander upma is not sticking to the bottom of the pan or burning.
You can garnish the colorful and vibrant coriander upma with grated coconut and coriander if you wish to. To make quick coriander upma recipe healthier, by add a lot of boiled vegetables like carrots, beans, tomatoes and peas along with the semolina when cooking. This will add more fibre to sooji coriander upma making it a lot healthier. Serve rava coriander upma hot in an inverted cup shape, as suggested.
We suggest a tip to roast the semolina and prepare the coriander chutney the previous evening and toss up this coriander upma quickly in the morning. Use it as and when you wish to make quick kothambir upma.
Enjoy coriander upma recipe | quick kothambir upma | rava coriander upma | with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- To make coriander upma, dry roast the semolina in a broad non-stick kadhai on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour, stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the urad dal and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the roasted semolina and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Add the coriander chutney and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add 2½ cups of hot water and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the water evaporates, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar and coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minute.
- Cool the coriander upma slightly, wrap in an aluminium foil and pack in a tiffin box.
Coriander Upma Video by Tarla Dalal
Coriander Upma recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.