Oats Upma ( Breakfast Recipes)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 326 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 242306 times
This recipe is one that will make oats a much-loved ingredient in your house! Here, fibre-rich oats is cooked along with a traditional, flavourful tempering and scrumptious, colourful veggies like carrots and peas, which add to the flavour and visual appeal of the dish. Take care to roast the oats well, to remove the raw aroma and also ensure that the final texture of the upma is nice and not gooey. The Oats Upma is quite filling, and ideal for Breakfast as it will easily keep you satiated till lunch time. Being fibre-rich, this upma can also be had by diabetics, but in that case, the sugar should be avoided.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a non-stick pan, add the oats and ½ tsp of turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour, stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, curry leaves, red chillies and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute or till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the carrots and green peas and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the oats mixture, sugar, salt and remaining ½ tsp of turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add 1½ cups of hot water, cover and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values serving
|Energy|| 191 kcal|
|Protein|| 5.5 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 27.4 gm|
|Fat|| 4.6 gm|
|Fibre|| 1.9 gm|
|Vitamin A|| 225.1 mcg|
|Iron|| 1.6 mg|
|Folic Acid|| 14.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.