South Indian Filter Coffee, Filter Coffee Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10492 times
South Indian Filter Coffee, with its stimulating aroma, is like an alarm clock that can wake you up even when you are dog-tired! An everyday beverage in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, Filter Coffee has now become popular throughout the country. Filter Coffee is made using a special utensil that has two parts. The upper part has a perforated base, which allows the decoction to seep through into the lower half, which is basically a container. To make filter coffee, you need to put the coffee powder into the upper strainer-like container, press it using the special inverted-umbrella shaped attachment and top it with hot water. Slowly, decoction collects in the lower container. If you do not have this special coffee filter, you can line a strainer with muslin cloth, place it over a container and follow the same procedure. Here is how to make the perfect filter coffee!
- Put the coffee powder in the strainer of the filter coffee machine.
- Press it with the coffee press slightly and place it on top of the container, pour ¼ cup of hot water in the strainer.
- Close it with a lid, and keep aside for at least 30 minutes to get a thick coffee decoction.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the coffee decoction in a small glass, add 1 tsp sugar and ¼ cup of hot milk and mix well.
- Repeat step 4 to make 3 more filter coffees.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per small glass
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.