Tava Chana Dal Vadas
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 11 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3770 times
Chana Dal Vada, with its crunchy texture and satiating homely flavour is an all-time favourite South Indian snack, commonly served as a starter at parties.
With a little twist, this normally deep-fried snack can be made healthier. In this recipe, we have cooked the vadas on a tava with minimal oil.
These Tava Chana Dal Vadas have an interesting texture, aroma and taste, which is a bit different from the deep-fried one but equally good. It is important to first shape the vada into a round and then flatten it till thin, because if it is thick, it will not cook properly and have a raw taste inside.
Make sure you cook the vada on a slow flame so that it gets completely cooked inside also. Shape one vada and a time and cook it immediately on the tava.
Do not shape them all at one go because they will lose their shape and also dry up before cooking. Serve these vadas immediately because they are made with less oil and tend to dry up after a while.
You can also try other healthy snacks like Khumbh Ke Kebab , Healthy Momos and Triangles with Italian Relish .
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal in enough hot water for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Combine the soaked chana dal, dry red chillies, green chillies, cumin seeds and 2 tbsp of water in a mixer and blend to a thick coarse paste.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and mix well using your hands.
- Divide the mixture into 10 equal portions and roll each portion into a 50 mm. (2”) diameter flat round vada.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it using 1 tsp of oil. Place all the vadas on it and cook them on a slow flame using the remaining 1 tsp of oil till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per vada
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.