Rasam Dal Vada, South Indian Snack
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 13 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5413 times
Crispy dal vadas dunked in hot rasam, this snack is sure to shake you awake! The tangy, spicy flavour of the rasam complements the texture as well as the taste of the chana dal vadas very well, resulting in a wholly satisfying experience!
Here, we show you how to make chana dal vadas as well as rasam, and then how to assemble the Rasam Dal Vada. You can make the vadas earlier but make sure the rasam is piping hot when you dunk the vadas in them. You can also try other South Indian snacks like
You can also try other South Indian snacks like Mysore Bonda or Thattai .
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal in a deep bowl in enough hot water for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Blend the chana dal in a mixer to a coarse mixture without using any water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 10 equal portions and shape each portion into 50 mm. (2”) diameter round flat vada.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry, a few vadas at a time on a medium flame, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. Keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garlic, dry red chillies and turmeric powder in a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the tamarind water, salt and 1½ cups of water and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the prepared tamarind- tomato mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Re-heat the rasam, switch off the flame, add the vadas and coriander and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside for 30 minutes. Serve.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||234.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||7.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||41.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.